gpgme python bindings release plans?

Jasper Spaans gnupg-devel at use.startmail.com
Sun Aug 26 21:21:31 CEST 2018

On 20/08/2018 14:02, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> The gist of it is that the bindings are spread by upstream bundled with
> GPGME, rather than through PyPi. This is because the bindings are
> tightly coupled to the GPGME library, so they should be built and
> installed together.
>
> But that's all I can tell you, I'm not well acquainted with it.
Thanks Peter! That is a bit unusual for Python packages, but I guess
there's not much to do about it for now. Anyway, I followed your advice
and made some packages for gpgme and python, but they somehow failed
when trying to load the python module (based on current git head of gpgme):

  user at testing-gpg:~$ python3 -m gpg
  Traceback (most recent call last):
  ImportError:
/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/gpg/_gpgme.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so:
undefined symbol: gpgme_data_new_from_estream

This was on a ubuntu 16.04 vm, stock packages, except libgpg-error which
I created and installed a 1.32 package for.

Doing a git bisect, the commit that causes the Python module to fail is

commit f42cd70f18d53df47cc2d027bade736377d39b71
Author: Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>
Date:   Thu Jul 19 09:50:30 2018 +0200

core: New interface gpgme_data_new_from_estream.

which seems to be a reasonable commit given the ImportError missing symbol.

Let me see if I can create my first patch :)

Cheers,
Jasper