Setting up wks/ error parsing submission email

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Dec 17 20:56:48 CET 2018

On Sat 2018-12-15 16:18:30 -0500, fsantiago at deviltracks.net wrote:

> I’m setting up (or trying to) wks on my email server, which is Ubuntu
> 18.04 using postfix / dovecot with procmail. I think I’m close but
> keep getting an error in my procmail output when I test it from
> another machine using the command line client test noted in the GnuPG
> docs. The 2nd machine is also Ubuntu but using its stock gpg (older
> rev as you can see in the log output below). The email server has been
> setup with the current gpg as noted in the instructions:

It looks to me like you're mixing versions of gpg -- one is the stock
version shipping in ubuntu, and the other is some slightly-more-recent
(but not fully current) locally-built copy (the one in
/home/webkey/bin/gpg).

have you tried just installing the gpg-wks-server package directly in
ubuntu, rather than trying to build your own local copy?

> gpg-wks-server: gpg: uncompressing failed: Unknown compression algorithm
> gpg-wks-server: error running '/home/webkey/bin/gpg': exit status 2

this looks like your self-built copy of gpg doesn't enable the expected
compression algorithm.

can you compare the output of:

    gpg --version | grep ^Compression:

against:

    /home/webkey/bin/gpg --version | grep ^Compression:

?

that might help to understand some of what's going on at least.

     --dkg