Setting up wks/ error parsing submission email

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Dec 20 20:36:53 CET 2018

On Thu 2018-12-20 09:47:30 -0500, Fabian A. Santiago wrote:
> /usr/lib/gnupg/gpg-wks-client --receive --send < sample2.txt
> gpg-wks-client: t2body for level 0
> gpg-wks-client: t2body for level 1
> gpg-wks-client: t2body for level 2
> gpg-wks-client: t2body for level 2
> gpg-wks-client: new 'application/vnd.gnupg.wks' message part
> gpg-wks-client: t2body for level 1
> gpg-wks-client: gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 20 09:41:21 2018 EST
> gpg-wks-client: gpg:                using RSA key  672DC8471CEA6025761161FE05C53C82C753F2B6
> gpg-wks-client: gpg:                issuer "key-submission at deviltracks.net"
> gpg-wks-client: gpg: Good signature from "key-submission at deviltracks.net" [unknown]
> gpg-wks-client: gpg: WARNING: Using untrusted key!
> gpg-wks-client: DBG: Fixme: Verification result is not used
> gpg-wks-client: wkd data found
> gpg-wks-client: draft version 2 requested
> gpg-wks-client: gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
> gpg-wks-client: error running '/usr/bin/gpg': exit status 2
> gpg-wks-client: decryption failed: General error
> gpg-wks-client: decryption failed: General error
> gpg-wks-client: processing mail failed: General error
>
> this is me trying to feed in the email confirmation via command line to
> the client. no secret key? and I've now since reverted to using my
> distro's default gpg version. thanks.

Can you report more info about sample2.txt, or share it here?  I would
want to know what its internal structure looks like, if possible, and to
know whether the key(s?) that its inner part is encrypted to are keys
that you have listed when you run gpg --list-secret-keys .

Also, what version is your local gpg where you're running
gpg-wks-client?  Is it possible that you're mixing gpg 2.1.x and gpg
1.4.x on your local system?

        --dkg