scd bug: specifying 'e length' for RSA key-attr unsupported

Trevor Bentley trevor at yubico.com
Mon Jul 9 14:37:37 CEST 2018

Thanks, Achim.  Then I retract this as a bug report, and lower it to a
confusing spec report :)

I do think you should clarify the language around e length when you add
the new DO, though.  It's definitely not clear how it is to be used.

Also, there is one sentence in the spec that suggests Algorithm
Attributes decides how on-device key generation is done:

"This DO announces information related to the supported algorithm of the
card. ... The formats are used by the key generation in the card..."

It is never defined how they are used, but does say that they are.  The
implication is that on-device generation should match the current
Algorithm Attributes.

Yubikeys currently choose the RSA bit length of on-device generated keys
based on the current Algorithm Attributes.  Isn't that the expected
behavior?  Gnuk appears to do the same.  So, in current implementations,
both "Algorithm ID" and "Length of modulus n in bit" are used during
generation, but "Length of public exponent e in bit" is not.

-Trevor