Improving the command line UI of gpg

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:20:29 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:22 AM Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 9:34 PM Doron Behar <doron.behar at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> This obviously mean that it would make the next version of `gpg`
>> incompatible with the older versions but I really think it's worth the
>> effort.
>>

> Maybe it can preserve the backwards compatibility, but the code will have
> to be a little bit more complex.

I have another vision. It should be possible to create a wrapper program,
which accepts the commands and options in the format that is easy for the
users
(in this case Doron), and internally it just calls `gpg` with the commands
and
arguments in the current format. This would be fully backwards compatible
and at the same time offering users a novel usage that is supposed to be
easier
(with command-line completion etc.)

Actually this is such an easy task that even a good student can do it
(assuming
that he knows very well all the commands and options of `gpg`, their
meaning,
when they are used, etc.). It can even be a Bash script. For example one can
start from a copy of EasyGnuPG (mentioned below) and customize it for this
purpose.

> By the way, can you have a look at this: https://github.com/EasyGnuPG/egpg
> It is an attempt to make GnuPG easier for beginners, and it uses the model
> of sub-commands that you describe.

Dashamir