Improving the command line UI of gpg

Dirk Gottschalk dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 23:39:21 CEST 2018

Hello Dashamir,

Am Mittwoch, den 25.07.2018, 23:01 +0200 schrieb Dashamir Hoxha:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:53 PM Dirk Gottschalk <
> dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Have you any ideas what could or should be implemented in those
> > wrappers? Any suggestions?
> >

> It is the idea proposed on the message that started this thread.
> Namely, trying to make GnuPG CLI as comfortable as `git` (or similar
> to it).
> This involves:
>  - Commands that do not look like options.

This is a goot point and could be done with scripts, at least for the
long command lines.

>  - Command line completion of commands and options.

I use ZSH with Antigen and various plug-ins and auto-completion with
<TAB> works well with gpg. But I didn't use bash for a long time so I
don't know if itz works there, too.

>  - Separate man page for each command.

This could be part of the wrapper scripts package and would be good as
explaination for new users.

>  - Contextual help and instructions that give the right directions
>    when you don't know what you are doing.

This would also be good because the documentation of GnuPG itself is,
let's say, far away from complete and is hard to understand for new
users. May the main developers excuse me, but that's no secret. ;-)

>  - As much automated tests as possible (with sharness).

What kind of tests do you mean?

>  - etc.
>
> I think everyone has used `git`, so there is no need to go to much
> details.

Yes, as a developer I am a regular user og git. I know what are talking
of. The git-... commands. To be honest, I don't use them myself, I use
the "long" commands.

Regards,
Dirk

PS: I forgot the list in my last Mail. I forwardet this to the list and
added it right here again in the CC field.

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8