PhD project ideas

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Jun 11 08:20:52 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 2:51:23 PM CEST Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> I don't know what is WKD, and Keybase as far as I know is centralized, it
> is not distributed.

WKD is the Web Key Directory [1][2] so that you can do with recent versions of
GnuPG a:

"gpg --locate-key aheinecke at intevation.de"

Which then gets the key from intevation.de without a keyserver and without a
walkable directory.

As for other projects maybe some ideas:
- A look at the trustmodels of OpenPGP with maybe ideas how to improve them or
their usage.
- Usability studies of OpenPGP MUA's and comments / improvements about this.
(Why Johnny still still can't encrypt) Here with the focus on concrete
suggestions what to imrpove.
- Private key sync between multiple devices.
- Private key backup that is understandable to users who generally only know
recoverable passwords as secret.

Best Regards,
Andre

1: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-koch-openpgp-webkey-service