Web Key Discovery

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Mar 22 08:03:48 CET 2018

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 00:52, gnupg-devel at sambull.org said:

> Not necessarily. It's the web key directory that requires a key to match the
> given email address. For example, I am signing this email without it matching

That is the whole pint of the web key directory.

It maps a mail address to a key.  It is possible to map several mail
addresses to the same key but the key needs to carry a user ID for each
key.

> Of course, supporting a wildcard in the user ID would also solve this issue.

I am not sure what you mean by wildcard.  It would be possible to do a
pre-mapping of mail addresses like:

  foo at example.org   -> foo at example.org
  foo+a at example.org -> foo at example.org
  foo+b at example.org -> foo at example.org
  bar+a at example.org -> barexample.org

however such a + delimiter is not a universal standard.  We could
implement a simple scheme like the above on a per domain case, though.

Shalom-Salam,

#  Please read:  Daniel Ellsberg - The Doomsday Machine  #