Python bindings HOWTO proof reader request

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Fri Mar 23 23:11:54 CET 2018

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:50:38AM +0100, Tobias Mueller wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 10:26 +1100, Ben McGinnes wrote:
>> That is my long term plan: to (ideally) port the damned thing off SWIG
>> entirely and to CFFI.
>
> hrm.
> The benefit of SWIG is that it nicely exposes everything the native
> build does.

The disadvantage, however, is that SWIG doesn't play nicely on Windows
at all, whereas CFFI does (or can).

> So it's more work to not expose an existing gpgme feature than it is
> to implement it in the python bindings.  Does CFFI also provide that
> kind of automatic exposure?

Proper testing is yet to be done, but I believe there are ways.

This isn't something which will happen overnight, though.

> There are a few alternatives. Coming from the GNOME camp, I'm
> thinking gobject-introspection, but gpgme has to come a long way
> before that's a viable thing to do.  But the GNOME ecosystem is
> reasonably happy with that.

I haven't really looked into that one, but I've been mainly looking at
solutions that are designed independently of certain very specific
ecosystems like GTK and Qt.  Though I have considered SIP, but since
that's another Riverbank project I'd need to confirm that it has a
compatible license first and since that sort of thing has been a
problem with Riverbank in the past I'm cautious regarding their code.

Regards,
Ben