EFail mitigations for S/MIME

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 17 08:39:23 CEST 2018

Am Donnerstag 17 Mai 2018 02:40:58 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
> > IMHO the correct solution would be to switch to a true Authenticated
> > Encryption mode - like AES-OCB or AES-GCM.
>
> Tell it to the Working Group, please.  We don't get to write the RFC by
> ourselves.

As Werner pointed out:
There is already RFC6476 which uses the SMIMECapabilities attribute
as defined in STD 70 (aka rfc5751) to define a "Message Authentication Code
(MAC) Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)"
and there is RFC8103 providing another one.

So we would need to get S/MIME application vendors to implement one of these.

Best,
Bernhard