danger of decrypted files without integrity protection

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 18 09:08:22 CEST 2018

Am Donnerstag 17 Mai 2018 21:48:28 schrieb Greg Troxel:
> I didn't mean to suggest that there was nothing to fix -- only that
> "processing decrypted files is dangerous" is a subset of "processing
> files is dangerous".

I disagree. What efails reminds us of is that a decrypted
file may contain cleverly placed pieces that will send a decrypted contents
somewhere else, so it is more problematic because it may expose
something that was intented to be kept confidential.

If the decryption client will decrypt several different message parts in one
go, then it could even be tricked to decrypt several messages parts.

Bernhard