[gmime-devel] avoiding metadata leaks when handling S/MIME-signed mail in GMime and other tools that use GnuPG

Jeffrey Stedfast fejj at gnome.org
Sat May 19 20:42:54 CEST 2018

I kinda dropped the ball on this a while back but due to the recent
Efail news, I resurrected my patch and have now committed it:

https://github.com/jstedfast/gmime/commit/57d16f7ca9ff76e2c46c518db43b6822a2ea075a

There is now a GMIME_VERIFY_DISABLE_ONLINE_CERTIFICATE_CHECKS flag that
sets gpgsm into offline mode.

Question: Should this behavior be the default? I.e. should I invert the
logic for DISABLE_ONLINE_CERTIFICATE_CHECKS into
*ENABLE*_ONLINE_CERTIFICATE_CHECKS?

I'm wondering if perhaps that might be more prudent.

Unfortunately, I think that means it opens the client up to other
potential risks such as letting revoked certificates go undiscovered.

Comments? Suggestions?

Jeff