Storing key on multiple smartcards

Frederick Zhang frederick888 at tsundere.moe
Wed Apr 10 16:22:28 CEST 2019

Well, while it's good to know that keytocard does not update the file
immediately, I genuinely didn't expect that keytocard would replace the
keygrip in the first place (although it's clearly stated in man page,
yeah, lazy me :P). No idea whether I'm the one who's got a weird
mindset, I believed it meant "copying the key to a smart card and store
some metadata about the card somewhere else" without the slightest
doubt. I actually kinda want to blame the setup instruction from Yubico
<https://support.yubico.com/support/solutions/articles/15000006420>.
They suggest having a backup card but mentioned absolutely nothing about
the behaviour of keytocard, and it clearly says "enter y (yes)" to save
the changes after "quit"... Only when I was to copy the same keys to the
backup card after done configuring the primary one, I realised I may
have screwed up. Thank goodness I backed up the keys when I started
using GPG, but the authentication keys I generated during the setup are
never gonna settle themselves in a different nest :'(

So I strongly agree keytocard should, even by default, leave the
originals untouched, and perhaps instruct users to move the keygrip to a
safe place afterwards.

--
Best Regards,
Frederick Zhang