ECC Ed25519/Curve25519 ready as default?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Apr 25 14:09:57 CEST 2019

Am Donnerstag 25 April 2019 13:50:34 schrieb Dirk Gottschalk:
> Am Donnerstag, den 25.04.2019, 08:42 +0200 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > Is ECC ready to be the default?

Which probably means Encryption ECDH 	RFC7748: Curve25519
and Signature EdDSA RFC8032: Ed25519, see https://wiki.gnupg.org/ECC.

> I am concerned that such a default switch would break the compatiblity
> to many running foreign implementations of OpenPGP.

Best would be to compile a list (e.g. in the wiki)
as documented basis for a decision.

> Openkeychain, for example, does not support ECC, or it did not.

Its docs say it does since v2.8 (2014-08)
and more specifically Curve25519 since v4.9 (2018-02)

https://github.com/open-keychain/open-keychain/blob/HEAD/OpenKeychain/src/main/res/raw/help_changelog.md
https://github.com/open-keychain/open-keychain/releases

> I think we should establish the standard for ECC in OpenPGP first and
> then wait a while before switching to ECC as default.

Personally I've heard that progress on RFC4880bis is difficult,
so if it does not go forward, there still should be a point to switch the
default.

Best Regards,
Bernhard