gpgme_op_delete() does not work with gpg 2.x

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Wed Jan 2 23:34:31 CET 2019

On 1/2/19 4:17 PM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
>> I'm not sure how much this will help you, but deleting a private key
>> works in the Python bindings if I use the abstracted method but not the
>> direct gpgme method (see attached POC).
>
> So which C function does the latter use then? I don't use python but
> to me it looks like both those methods are different syntax for the
> same thing? Why would they show different behavior?

I don't know much about the bindings themselves other than they're
generated (mostly?) automatically via SWIG[0]. However, the former
method (gpgme.gpgme_op_delete()) is, I believe, the direct SWIG method
and the latter Context class method (gpg.Context().op_delete()) is
inherited somehow from it (as I don't see an actual separate
.op_delete() method defined anywhere in the library).

SWIG does support R, it looks like[1] so you may be able to create the R
bindings in much the same way (while even reusing many of the parts for
python[2]).

Based on git commit history, I'd try to see if you can get in touch with
Ben McGinnes[3]; he should be able to answer your question with much
more clarity, I'd imagine. Sorry I wasn't much more help!

[0] http://www.swig.org/
[1] http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/R.html
[2]
https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gpgme.git;a=tree;f=lang/python
[3] You can get his email address by cloning the gpgme git repo and running:

  git shortlog -nes -- lang/python

or just getting it from the gitweb interface.

(not pasting the email addresses here in case there are harvesting
spiders for spammers)

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/