Stop-gap for signature flooded keys

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jul 1 19:13:37 CEST 2019

On Mon 2019-07-01 18:57:03 +0200, Werner Koch via Gnupg-devel wrote:
> into gpg.conf to skip all key-signatures at an early import stage.  This
> will go into 2.2.17.  We track this problem at https://dev.gnupg.org/T4591

Thanks for taking the time to work on this, Werner.  I don't think this
is an appropriate fix, though.

As I've commented on T4591,

  If i am going to tell anyone "hey, do this weird thing differently in
  order to fetch my key", i will tell them "pull it from
  https://dkg.fifthhorseman.net/dkg-openpgp.key". I will never tell
  anyone to use import-self-sigs-only.

  Not only that, but the current implementation of import-self-sigs-only
  also does not appear to be robust against a malicious certificate
  flood given SKS's lack of cryptographic validation. Adding a new
  option to an already-crowded space is not the right solution. The
  right solution is for gpg to be more defensive about the OpenPGP
  packets it receives, regardless of who it receives them from.

Regards,

        --dkg