GSoC project idea

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 13:31:23 CET 2019

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 12:21 PM Doron Behar <doron.behar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Dashamir,
>
> Thanks for showing your interest in this idea. I thought more about it
> after I've sent the email to the mailing list and I reached the
> conclusion that it might be more efficient to _fork_ the existing
> code-base and use the same existing functions and only bind them to a
> different executable that will have a different use of argparse.

Do you preserve the existing commands and options of `gpg`, for backwards
compatibility? If yes, maybe there is some chance that your changes will be
merged some day to the main project. Otherwise I think that it is going
nowhere. Neither the developers nor the users will accept radical changes
to the CLI of `gpg`. I don't think your aim is to maintain it forever as an
alternative to `gpg` because this is a huge task.

> Actually, I've already created a prototype of this and the missing work
> to be done is connecting everything to the already existing functions
> available in the code-base.

It does not seem so easy to me because you may need some feedback from more
experienced people, although you may think that you have organized the
commands and their options properly.

> It is indeed a good project for a student. Only I'm not sure I'll be
> able to do it myself, although my motivation is rather high. I'm
> preparing myself for the 1st year of Computer Science studies in
> university these days so I don't have a lot of spare time.

You can be one of the mentors, which hopefully should not be very time
consuming.