Debugging dirmngr (gpg --locate-key)

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Thu Mar 28 20:57:21 CET 2019

Hello,

I'm trying to debug why the following doesn't fetch the key via WKD:

$ gpg --locate-key torvalds at kernel.org
gpg: error retrieving 'torvalds at kernel.org' via WKD: No data
gpg: error reading key: No data

While naive curl for the WKD URL works:

$ curl -sSL
https://kernel.org/.well-known/openpgpkey/hu/pf113mfnx1f3eb1yiwhsipa91xfc7o4x
| gpg --import
gpg: key 79BE3E4300411886: public key "Linus Torvalds
<torvalds at kernel.org>" imported

I tried debug lookup flags but it doesn't print any useful info:

$ gpg --debug lookup -vvv --locate-key torvalds at kernel.org
gpg: using character set 'utf-8'
gpg: enabled debug flags: lookup
gpg: using pgp trust model
gpg: DBG: keydb_search: 1 search descriptions:
gpg: DBG: keydb_search   0: SUBSTR: 'torvalds at kernel.org'
gpg: DBG: keydb_search: searching keybox (resource 0 of 1)
gpg: DBG: keydb_search: searched keybox (resource 0 of 1) => EOF
gpg: error retrieving 'torvalds at kernel.org' via Local: No public key
gpg: error retrieving 'torvalds at kernel.org' via WKD: No data
gpg: error reading key: No data
gpg: secmem usage: 0/32768 bytes in 0 blocks

Are there any other flags or config options that can be enabled to see
the lookup step by step and check why this fails?

(For the record locating my own key via my e-mail address works but as I
don't control kernel.org I can't check what URLs is GPG trying to access).

I tried this with GnuPG 2.2.12 and 2.2.14.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--