OpenPGP smartcard and supported curves

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 08:58:04 CET 2021

Hi,

I think the gnupg-users mailing list would have been the more appropriate
mailing list for your message.

On Dienstag, 9. Februar 2021 06:37:02 CET Ben Kibbey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have version 3.4 OpenPGP smartcard and am trying to get ed25519 keys
> working. I have tried generating a signing key on-card and also
> importing via the keytocard command of --card-edit with both methods
> returning an 'Invalid value' error. The nist keys work fine. Is this a
> limitation of the card?

Which version of gpg (gpg --version) are you using? Which commands did you
use? What was the exact output? Did you try to track down the problem by
enabling more verbose/debug output?

The current development version which is going to become gpg 2.3 has seen a
lot of improvements for smartcards. Since you are writing to the development
mailing list, I suggest that you give gpg 2.3 a try (after compiling it
yourself).

I think "Invalid value" points more to a limitation of gpg (probably scdaemon)
than a limitation of the card.

Regards,
Ingo