Implementing a WKS solution

Christoph Biedl cb at gnupg.org
Tue Feb 23 11:09:45 CET 2021

Werner Koch via Gnupg-devel wrote...

> BTW, procmail is one of the most reliable and matured mail tool.

But at the same time using a complex and fragile configuration syntax.
No problem if you see that every day and know all the ins and outs. But
for me, user of procmail since 2004, every change I have to do, every
few months or so, makes me nervous whether things will still work as
expected. And reading other people's recipies can easily turn into
headache.

And I am biased due to a major desaster many, many years ago when a
co-worker accidentially placed a newline character into the rc,
resulting in, if memory serves me right, something like

    *
    ^Header: content

which was valid procmail but went unnoticed until the next day.

In other words, the procmailrc format is not something I would want to
recommend anywhere. While still better than sendmail.cf or ircd "lines",
it's too risky. Today's computing ressources are really sufficient
enough to allow focussing on being more readable and less error-prone.

    Christoph