GnuPG 2.3 Beta

Marco Ricci m at the13thletter.info
Wed Feb 24 12:06:15 CET 2021

Greetings.

Thus spoke Werner Koch:
> X448 is too new and we have not done interop tests which we did for v5
> keys and signatures (but less diligent than for AEAD).

Then let me ask directly: if I generate an Ed448 key (packet), an ECDH
X448 key (packet), or a general v5 key or v5 signature packet, using
GnuPG 2.3beta, can I assume that when exporting such keys/signatures
they (a) conform to RFC4880bis-10, and (b) they remain *valid* packets
even when RFC4880bis is finalized? Or is the format still experimental?

I took your previous commentary about AEAD to mean that EAX and OCB mode
are pretty much final, as far as RFC4880bis is concerned, and that
you're in the phase "we need multiple interoperable implementations in
the wild so that we can add this to the RFC, so now we're releasing one
such implementation". So what I'm actually wondering about is whether
this holds for the v5 keys/signatures and X448 formats as well.

Thanks, and cheers,
Marco