Keyserver: List of available ones (dynamic)

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Tue Oct 12 15:51:07 CEST 2021

On 24/09/2021 12:49, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
> On 24/09/2021 11:27, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
>> In the graphs I can see keyserver.ubuntu.com, but in the list
>> I cannot. Why is that?
>
> Well spotted. :-)
>
> The graph code (written in Ruby) polls both port 80 and port 11371,
> while the list code (written in Go) only polls 11371. Furthermore,
> keyserver.ubuntu.com is not referenced directly by any peer, but
> keyserver.syseleven.de is -- it runs a proxy on port 80 (only) that
> forwards requests to keyserver.ubuntu.com. This means that the Ruby
> spider can find keyserver.ubuntu.com by traversing syseleven port 80,
> but the Go spider can't.

After investigating the above further, I have now removed the port 80
check entirely from the Ruby graphing code - the only "keyservers" that
listen on port 80 and not 11371 are either proxies/redirectors like
syseleven and pgp.pm, or DNS registrar holding pages. In any case, a
keyserver that does not listen on port 11371 will almost certainly not
sync, so should not be listed as functional.

This change has allowed me to quickly detect some broken mutuals,
exposing some hidden fragilities in the graph (I did/will follow these
up by private mail).

Andrew.