Keyserver: List of available ones (dynamic)

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Fri Sep 24 13:49:18 CEST 2021

On 24/09/2021 11:27, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag 24 September 2021 01:00:04 schrieb Andrew Gallagher via
> Gnupg-devel:
>>> https://github.com/philpennock/sks_spider
>> I have updated Phil's code to support Hockeypuck servers, and it is now
>> running at https://spider.pgpkeys.eu .
>
> Very cool!
>
> Did you make your code available?

Ref this PR:

https://github.com/philpennock/sks_spider/pull/8

>> It also hosts pretty graphs at https://spider.pgpkeys.eu/graphs
>
> In the graphs I can see keyserver.ubuntu.com, but in the list
> I cannot. Why is that?

Well spotted. :-)

The graph code (written in Ruby) polls both port 80 and port 11371,
while the list code (written in Go) only polls 11371. Furthermore,
keyserver.ubuntu.com is not referenced directly by any peer, but
keyserver.syseleven.de is -- it runs a proxy on port 80 (only) that
forwards requests to keyserver.ubuntu.com. This means that the Ruby
spider can find keyserver.ubuntu.com by traversing syseleven port 80,
but the Go spider can't.

Note that the Ruby code records every peer reference no matter what the
error, whereas the Go code records only HTTP errors, and silently
ignores connection failures. The Go code performs URL deduplication by
detecting the hostname that the target server returns. The Ruby code
doesn't; instead I bodged it by hard-coding a list of duplicates by hand
(unresponsive servers don't return hostnames).

In any case, keyserver.ubuntu.com is not syncing because it has no
mutual peers.

--
Andrew Gallagher