WKD: returns only one pubkey (and why)

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 14:01:28 CET 2022

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 11:48 AM Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>
wrote:

> In this email I respond to what WKD aims for:
>
> The design goal of WKD as it is (please see the question in my other
> email):
> Establish some minimal trust so that I can encrypt at the first message
> exchange, and hereby improve the usability of the end to end crypto
> functionality.

The way that I understand WKD (and how I explain it in my presentations) is
that it is a way to publish your public keys (share them with your
contacts). It is an alternative (and replacement) to the keyserver
infrastructure. It is preferred and recommended over the keyservers, since
those have some well-known problems. Also it is better than public key
exchange by email attachments, since you publish only once and it can be
discovered by the clients automatically.

Maybe your definition is the same as this one, but formulated differently.

On the other hand, if "being a replacement for keyservers" is not one of
the aims of WKD, I think that it should become. My opinion is that it *can*
be a replacement for keyservers.

Regards,
Dashamir