potential IETF WG incompatibility with GnuPG 2.3

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Tue Dec 13 10:07:07 CET 2022

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:35:22 +0100,
Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> (Same as you did when you have decided to made keys.openpgp.org incompatible
> to the existing OpenPGP standard, by not adding the necessary signature, see
> https://dev.gnupg.org/T4393 and blame it as defect on your page
> https://keys.openpgp.org/about/faq)

I think you are misreading the standard here.  My reading of 4880 is
the grammar for certificates explicitly says that self signatures on
User ID packets are optional:

  - One or more User ID packets

  - After each User ID packet, zero or more Signature packets
    (certifications)

  Immediately following each User ID packet, there are zero or more
  Signature packets.

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4880#section-11.1

So, I think gpg's behavior diverges from the standard here.

Can you point me to the text in 4880 that supports your view that User
IDs must have self signatures?

Thanks,

Neal