Allowing import of pubkeys without User ID (was: potential IETF WG incompatibility with GnuPG 2.3)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 15 11:07:54 CET 2022

Hi Vincent,

[splitted out, because the details of the example are not important
 to the main discussion point where it was made]

https://dev.gnupg.org/T4393

Am Dienstag 13 Dezember 2022 12:07:20 Vincent wrote:
> Notably the way we made it incompatible was fairly widely
> discussed and thought acceptable, so much so that it was included in the
> [rfc4880bis-05] draft Werner specified at the time, and is now also so
> in the [crypto-refresh-07] draft.
> Should also mention that the breakage here is
> something that can be adapted to in GnuPG by a five lines patch, which is
> not quite the same as a major version step of the OpenPGP message format.

Two and a half years ago, I've started getting this process going again
or at least see where the disagreement is in detail.

As you can see in
  https://dev.gnupg.org/T4393
it has not been followed up a lot by koo people.
And the last anwer in
  https://keys.openpgp.org/about/faq
does not represent the situation fairly.

It introduces the term "bug" and leaves the impression that GnuPG team
is on the wrong here. A nicer way to phrase it would be "Why is that so?"
or "What can be the reason?".

It would be cool if the reasons given (e.g. in T4293) were explained
in the FAQ so to show the disagreement in more detail.

The patch in T4393 was not a five lines patch and the suggested way
forward was not followed up (as far as I know). As you have written,
it looked like the change could have been made. Addressing some
of the concerns of the GnuPG team or at least repesenting the concerns
in a respectful way can help (I believe).

Regards,
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter