issues with Unicode characters in UI dialogues (at least on Windows)

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 22:02:19 CET 2022

> > Don't assume that everybody on this planet has a stable and fast
> > internet connection.
>
> On the contrary: in year 2022 I consider safe to assume that a ~100 K e-mail message [1] is trivial for any available internet connection, even when reading the e-mail with, for example, a 12 years old Symbian based Nokia N8 over a 3G mobile network. If someone still uses a 14,4k modem (at best) for its computer, then that is *its* problem, not to the rest of the world – not to mention that speed, in this particular case, is of no importance.

Related, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

In the past Africa and Central America had some of the slowest speeds.
They were still doing dial-up while a lot of places had moved to
broadband.

And take a look where the US is on the list: #25. We can thank the US
Supreme Court for that. The idiots in the black robes declared 2
companies were enough for competition. Contrast that to South Korea,
which has 6 providers veying for a consumer. South Korea is #2 on the
list, and they can download a 3.5 GB image in about 7 seconds. And
South Korean consumers pay about half the price of a US consumer with
a slower connection.

It should be no surprise the US Supreme Court screwed up again. They
are the same asses that brought us Scott v Sandford, and declared
black people were property and had no place in our democracy. That
ruling still stands today; the Court has never fixed it. The Judicial
Branch should be proud of itself.

Jeff