Standards: IETF WG proposing incompatible despite implementations and objections

Vincent Breitmoser look at my.amazin.horse
Wed Apr 26 18:26:29 CEST 2023

Hi Bernhard and list,

On 26.04.23 15:19, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Some technical arguments on this mailing lists have been brought up
> in the last months, but I am not sure if they have been considered by the
> working group. The email discussion archived end of march at
>    https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/openpgp/pNkkw2r16G-q_O0Nd6eL-JFLMXU/
> just shows procedural arguments refering to a resolution in September.
The linked thread is months after the decision was made. You can refer
to the lengthy thread where the decision was made here:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/openpgp/PWp3ZcZ_qnDNLhuT-zR7gA2ddeg/

Ultimately the decision is a culmination of issues that were boiling
unaddressed for many years. The least subtle indicator of these that
I'm aware of is my email to the list asking Werner to step down as an
editor, that I have already pointed you towards several times now.

> A good paths forward would be, if the technical arguments would be
> re-considered, and deployed implementations.

The single one big argument is that of compatibility. And it's a really
strong argument. So strong in fact, that some folks worry that going
ahead with the new spec despite it may spell the death of OpenPGP.
And indeed - it just might.

But if you read through the thread linked above, a large part of the working
group felt that the OpenPGP community effectively maneuvered itself into
being held hostage by this argument. The options on the table seemed to
be declaring Werner dictator for life over the OpenPGP specification, or
taking the hit of the compatibility argument and try to establish an actual
working group again.

Sounds pretty extreme, I know.

But considering these extremes - I have never had the impression that
Werner,
or you for that matter, have stepped back from their position of GnuPG power
to say - whoa, if this many people are going to such lengths and are
willing to
risk so much in order to change course here - maybe it's not just all of
them
being stupid?

  - V