Interoperability with OpenPGP crypto-refresh

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Wed Feb 1 17:13:19 CET 2023

Hello,

I'm working on the Thunderbird email client and its email encryption
functionality, which currently includes OpenPGP (using RNP) and S/MIME
(using NSS).

In my understanding, the OpenPGP working group intends to publish a
refreshed version of the OpenPGP Internet standard.

Based on the discussions on that list, I got the impression that
multiple groups were able to reach consensus on evolving the OpenPGP
specification. However, IIUC the GnuPG developers have concerns about
the changes that are being considered in that specifications, and IIUC
there is some uncertainty what this could mean for the future of the
GnuPG software.

I'd kindly like to ask:

Does the GnuPG development team consider it a goal for future GnuPG
software releases to preserve compatibility and interoperability when
exchanging messages with other implementations of OpenPGP, such as
implementations of the upcoming IETF specification?

The reason why I'm asking:

I'd like to understand if it will be possible for Thunderbird to
exchange OpenPGP messages with both GnuPG and implementations of the
upcoming IETF specification, using a single OpenPGP message format.

Thanks and Regards
Kai