Interoperability with OpenPGP crypto-refresh

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Wed Feb 1 19:42:38 CET 2023

Hi Werner,

On 01.02.23 18:40, Werner Koch wrote:

> No, we have no concerns we will simply not implement the recently
> heavily changed "crypto refresh".

thanks a lot for your quick reply and for your unambiguous statement.

IIUC, RFC 4880bis contains specifications that are incompatible with the
intended IETF OpenPGP crypto-refresh, such as v5 keys.

Does that mean, if Thunderbird wants to remain compatible with all major
implementations, then Thunderbird must stay at the functional level of
RFC 4880, and must not use any functionality from newer specifications,
neither from the upcoming IETF crypto-refresh, nor items that were added
in RFC 4880bis on top of RFC 4880?

Thanks and Regards,
Kai