Interoperability with OpenPGP crypto-refresh

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 20 18:17:51 CET 2023

Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2023, 15:49:05 CET schrieb Andrew Gallagher via
Gnupg-devel:
> On 2 Feb 2023, at 08:31, Kai Engert via Gnupg-devel <gnupg-devel at gnupg.org>
wrote:
> > I'm asking the OpenPGP community to work together and find a standard that
> > works for everyone.
> I’d like to whole-heartedly second this.

You are part of the community, I do not think that pledges will help.
What we can do is to work out the arguments, so more people can follow them
and join a constructive search for a good and well reasoned paths forward.

> Hockeypuck relies heavily on Protonmail’s fork of gopenpgp. Protonmail are
> invested in crypto-refresh and will certainly implement the new RFC when it
> is finalised. Hockeypuck does not have the developer resources to maintain
> yet another fork of gopenpgp, and so will have little choice but to track
> upstream.

Given that openpgp-2015-rfc4880bis is simpler to implement, because having
less variants, that is an argument for it. I guess that Hockeypuck/gopenpgp is
closer to support it anyway, maybe already supporting it.
What would be needed to implemented it in hockeypuck?`

Regards
Bernhard
--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter