Issues with Gnupg - "Invalid crypto engine" - Mailing list or request an account?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 11 09:06:32 CEST 2024

On Fri,  7 Jun 2024 15:42, Ryan Brue said:
> the libraries from within the flatpak by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so
> that the host system doesn't have to manually install the required

In case gnupg is part of the flatpack (I only known details of AppImage;
not of flatpack) you may want to consider to use patchelf along with a
gpgconf.ctl as we recently introduced in our speedo build system
(build-aux/speedo.mk).

> I'm having an issue with gpgme using that setup, when running my program
> with GPGME_DEBUG=9, this is what I get:

Unfortunately the log does not exhibit what I wouldhave expected:
> req_version=(null), VERSION=1.23.2

okay.

> g-io-error-quark, code: 0, message: "GPG: Unable to configure context:
> gpgme_ctx_set_engine_info: GPGME: Invalid crypto engine" })
> Error: Glib(Error { domain: g-io-error-quark, code: 0, message: "GPG:
> Unable to configure context: gpgme_ctx_set_engine_info: GPGME: Invalid

The code should have shown more infos:

  TRACE_BEG  (DEBUG_CTX, "gpgme_ctx_set_engine_info", ctx,
	      "protocol=%i (%s), file_name=%s, home_dir=%s",
	      proto, gpgme_get_protocol_name (proto)
	      ? gpgme_get_protocol_name (proto) : "unknown",
	      file_name ? file_name : "(default)",
	      home_dir ? home_dir : "(default)");

So I wonder why you don't get that.  Maybe it is better to use
GPGME_DEBUG=9:/some/log/file to split the log from glib messages.

What version of GnuPG are you running.  Using strace -f to see what is
actually called is proabably helpful in case you can't convince gpgme to
show this.

> tracker. I am not sure if I can be helped here, or if I need to request
> an account to report this on the bug tracker. Thank you so much!

Sure, we will try to help you.

Salam-Shalom,

The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein