Specification for Kyber in GnuPG

Kai Engert KaiE at kuix.de
Wed May 8 00:32:19 CEST 2024

On 02.05.24 08:42, Werner Koch via Gnupg-devel wrote:
> Many thanks to Stavros Kousidis, Falko Strenzke, and Aron Wussler for
> their draft on adding PQC to OpenPGP.  The algorithms used by LibgrePGP
> are the same except for the fixed info.  I took the freedom to remove
> the rationale parts which are not helpful for an implementer and was
> thus able to make the description more concise.

Hi Werner,

is my understanding correct, LibrePGP reuses most of the PQC
specification from draft-ietf-openpgp-pqc, and your only concerns are
about the algorithm IDs and the fixed info?

If that's correct, I think it's exciting that your views are so close to
each other!

I wonder if the authors of draft-ietf-openpgp-pqc might be willing to
accept these changes, for the sake of a common specification.

Would you be open to a shared specification for the PQC subkey format?

Furthermore, as I understand it, the v5 key format and the v6 key format
are very close to each other (thanks a lot to Andrew Gallagher for
enlightening me about this detail).

I wonder if we could find a way to introduce the specification of a v5
format subkey (only) into an IETF specification, to allow the
draft-ietf-openpgp-pqc specification to use it.

Actually, I think it would be better if there was a common
specification, agreed to by both the LibrePGP and IETF groups. How could
such a common specification be defined? Do you have ideas or suggestions?

I'm dreaming here, but I think it would be great to see a base
specification, that extracts the common denominator of draft-librepgp
and crypto-refresh, and which could be extended to contain the v5 subkey
format. Then, draft-librepgp (and ideally crypto-refresh) could
potentially be rewritten to be incremental specifications on top of the
common denominator spec.

Thanks
Kai