Link to GPH Japanese translation

Mike Ashley Mike Ashley <jashley@acm.org>
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:59:40 -0500

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:35:23AM -0500, Iida Yosiaki wrote:
> I just have been asked to link Japanese translation of GNU
> Privacy Handbook from gnupg web page, by a person who translated
> GPH unknowing that translation was already done.
>=20
> I sent disclaimer from my company and my assignment to FSF and
> they are accepted on 2000-05-15.  You can make it sure by
> consulting fencepost:/gd/gnuorg/copyright.list.
> Will you let me know if I have something to do before these are
> linked:
>  ftp://ftp.ring.gr.jp/pub/doc/gnu-info-j/gnupg/
> http://www.ring.gr.jp/pub/doc/gnu-info-j/gnupg/

Thanks for the update!  I tried the http url and found a link to .tar.bz2
file with the goods.  After a configure and a make I was left with some
SGML files that appeared to contain a lot of Japanese.  The make did
not actually build the document, though.  I think if somebody had
their SGML environment set up to handle Japanese and knew how to use
it, they could probably continue onward to get the final set of
manuals.  Or perhaps I missed something trivial?

I was wondering if it would be easier to provide a link to the manuals
already compiled to HTML and/or postscript?  There are plans to revise
the manual in the next few months, and during the revision I hope to
settle on a common build procedure.  When we the manual was first done,
I 1) was new to the SGML tools under Linux, and 2) had no idea there
would be so many translations.  When we improve the build procedure,
perhaps you could adapt your translation to that so we can cleanly
build from source.

Mike
=20

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr