gnupg on USB drive

John A. Wallace jw72253 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 08:19:22 CEST 2011

Yes, your suggestion works nicely.  Initially, while setting it up or
testing, if a user has the USB plugged in to his own computer, there is a
possibility of utilizing the wrong set of keys and configuration settings as
a result of the environment variables or registry settings.  Is this case, I
would suggest users add this to the batch file or use it right afterwards to
confirm that the right homedir is used:

gpg --homedir u:\gnupg --version
gpg --homedir u:\gnupg --list-keys

This way they can visually see that the right set of keys will be used with
the options they have configured in u:\gnupg\gpg.conf, and not in their
regular homedir.  I also use "--interactive" mode initially.  Thanks, again.

John Wallace