gnupg-1.0.2 patch: LC_CTYPE needs to be imported

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:07:20 +0200

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:

> Where UTF-8 is specified for data that is transmitted between
> machines, on a modern system you should be able to convert between
> UTF-8 and the locale charset using iconv, and find out what the locale
> charset is using nl_langinfo(CODESET).
Quite some time ago, Thomas Roesler told me that there is no portable way to query the locale charset. It seems that this has changed and in every case we can do an autoconf check for nl_langinfo and check whether the iconv implemenation regarding UTF-8 is "secure", meaning not to allow overlong UTF-8 encodings to give a different encoding for the standard ASCII characters like LF or BS.
> If case you don't have iconv you can include your own simple version
> of it. You might do nothing, or replace non-ascii chars by '?', or
BTW, do you know what happens in glibc's iconv when an invalid sequence etc. is encountered? I assume you get one of the error codes back and then you have to output ? or C-qouted characters. Well, I think it is time to change GnuPGs simple UTF8 conversion to an iconv() based one.
GnuPG 1.1 (CVS head) has been merged with the stable branch and development should happen there. Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de