New UK crypto law and an idea on how to defeat it

Sean Rima Sean Rima <thecivvie@penguinpowered.com>
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:55:28 +0000

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

Hi Adam!

You ignore a couple of major points of British law, in that the police chief
would need reasonable grounds to believe that Bob was involved somehow in a
crime. He would not be able to demand Bob's key if he believed that Bob was
having an affair with his wife. Don't forget that the police chief is also
answerable to British law. But I also understand that you were using it as
an example.

The second mistake you make is that if Bob used such a program, he would
have to hand over both sets of keys. He would not be able to say that there
was only one. Should the police chief find that the file was locked also
with a second key then Bob would be automatically guilty of failing to hand
over the keys.

Bob would not be able to claim that the files were encrypted using random
keys without his knowledge as he would have had to start the process.

My personal view is that such a bill may not happen. But if it does, it will
be mainly used for Organised Crime and Pedophile and not against the
average person on the street.

Sean