New UK crypto law and an idea on how to defeat it

Sean Rima Sean Rima <thecivvie@penguinpowered.com>
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:50:17 +0000

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

Hi William!

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, William X. Walsh wrote:

> > You ignore a couple of major points of British law, in that the police
> > chief
> > would need reasonable grounds to believe that Bob was involved somehow
> > in a
> > crime. He would not be able to demand Bob's key if he believed that Bob
> > was
> > having an affair with his wife. Don't forget that the police chief is
> > also
> > answerable to British law. But I also understand that you were using it
> > as
> > an example.
> >=20
> > The second mistake you make is that if Bob used such a program, he would
> > have to hand over both sets of keys. He would not be able to say that
> > there
> > was only one. Should the police chief find that the file was locked also
> > with a second key then Bob would be automatically guilty of failing to
> > hand
> > over the keys.
> >=20
> > Bob would not be able to claim that the files were encrypted using
> > random
> > keys without his knowledge as he would have had to start the process.
> >=20
> > My personal view is that such a bill may not happen. But if it does, it
> > will
> > be mainly used for Organised Crime and Pedophile and not against the
> > average person on the street.
> >=20
>=20
> You might be interested in reading Richard Stallman's article on this at
> http://linuxtoday.com/stories/12846.html which also links to the actual
> text of the bill. There is AMPLE room for this thing to be vastly abused.
Will have a look.
> It's a real case of circular logic. They need something to base their
> suspicions on to invoke the law, and your use of encryption and
> unwillingness to co-operate makes you suspicious, so they can invoke the
> law. The court that would oversee all of this is a secret closed court,
> hence their is no public accountability for their decisions and actions.
It is a circular sort of thing in that if I have sensitive documents that I encrypt then I leave myself open to suspicion as to being involved in some crime or another. In fact I do store sensitive documents on my PC which are encrypted but it is simply due to the fact that they are legal stuff concerning my ex wife (long and complicated story)