New UK crypto law and an idea on how to defeat it

Sean Rima Sean Rima <thecivvie@penguinpowered.com>
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:31:18 +0000

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

Hi Billy!

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, Billy Donahue wrote:

> > My personal view is that such a bill may not happen. But if it does, it=
will
> > be mainly used for Organised Crime and Pedophile and not against the
> > average person on the street.
>=20
> There are many levels of people who are interesting to the police.
> It isn't a matter of black and white, pedophile or avg-person.
That is true, the police do like to have an interest in a lot more than they let on.
> This would certainly been used against Gandhi, M.L. King, Phil Zimmerman,
> Tories, Sinn Fein, Communists, GreenPeace, the Pope, movie stars, and a
> host of other completely responsible intellectuals and influential
> (or potentially influential) public figures.
My examples were only examples. Given the list above and the causes they were/are involved in, then yes they would be of interest to not only the police but also the secret services.
> To bury your head in the sand like that is unacceptable.. I wonder
> what would bring such a naive person to the GnuPG mailing list.
I view is simple. I don't believe that it will be brought in but if there is an attempt then I will fight against it. I do not believe that the goverment should have the right to say that I have to do this.