Keyservers in Europe?

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:59:40 +0100 (MET)

Jonas Steverud wrote:

> Thanks. My second question is now, how do I find out about a key ID
> when the person in question does not supply one? He only says in his
> (signed) articles "PGP key at a keyserver near you".
The signature contains the KeyID - gpg will (when you're on-line and have a keyserver defined in your options file) automatically connect to it, download that key and add it to your public keyring. And then verify the signature of course.
> Ask him? But in that case I might as well ask for the public key in
> the first place...
If you can' it would be better anyway because anyone can put a key on-line with a fake email address on it. If that person than sends you an encrypted message and you reply on it and he is able to intercept your message he might read something that he isn't suposed to (I know, a lot if's, but if email was uninterceptible, why would you need to encrypt it anyway (safe storage can also be done with a symmetric cypher only)). -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html