[GPG] One user ID with multiple keypairs question

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:12:56 +0100

 On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 08:33:05PM -0800
 ReFlex wrote:

> Is is possible to have multiple keypairs using the same user ID with GPG? If it
Sure. However I don't think that it makes much sense. You should at least use different comment strings in the user IDs (the text inside the parenthesis).
> is possible, how does one differentiate between the different keypairs when (for
> example) exporting (or editing) a specific keypair, or decrypting a message that
Using either the key ID (e.g. 0x211CC013) or the fingerprint (which is like a much longer key ID).
An encrypted message usually contains the key ID of the key to be used for decryption. The program handles this itself. -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013 Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html