encrypting and signing for pgp2

Michael Roth mroth@nessie.de
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:33:19 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Werner Koch wrote:

> > Hmm, is it not enough to do the following?
> >
> > 1. Read all data from stdin and write it to a tempfile.
> > 2. Sign the tempfile.
>
> No, the signature will still be at the end. Execpt for the case of
> clear text signatures but those can't be transformed to a standard
> signed message
Hmm. I tried the following: gpg --detach-sign -u test2 -o signature.gpg message gpg --store -z 0 -o data.gpg message cat signature.gpg data.gpg >result.gpg It looks like that this work very well. However, I'm not able to compress and/or encrypt the result correctly. Because GnuPG builds of course a literal data packet. IMHO it would be nice, to have an option that gpg doesn't build the literal data packet and just assumes that the input is a valid rfc1991/OpenPGP packet. With such an option I think it will become possible that pgpgpg or a library is able to build every thinkable combination of packets. cu Michael Roth