Exporting & Importing Public Keys

Kevin Turner Kevin Turner <Kevin.Turner@oberlin.edu>
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:32:53 -0700

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 05:07:24PM +0200, Petr Danecek wrote:
[...]

> and set
> trust: full
[...]
> Could not find a valid trust path to the key. Let's see whether we
> can assign some missing owner trust values.
[...]
> It is NOT certain that the key belongs to its owner.
[...] This is the second time people have gotten stuck on this in the past few days. Perhaps the warning message about a vaild trust path should remind the user that the trust path is built on key /signatures/? I admit that this one caught me when I first started using gnupg as well, even after being moderately well-read in the pgp trust mechanism. I was used to having two trust parameters -- "do you trust this key belongs to the name on it?" and "do you trust this key to sign others?" When I started using gpg's 'edit-key' interface, I was confused as to why there was only a single "trust" option, and further confused when setting this "trust" option did not result in the key being trusted. Bring on the verbosity, - Kevin -- Kevin.Turner@oberlin.edu | OpenPGP encryption welcome here, see X-DSA-Key