entropy

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:41:56 +0200

zander@microweb.nl writes:

> The random number generator on solaris is (according to the make check) not
> strong, does this imply that I should not create a key, or also that I can not
> sign my mail? (or both)
>
> ----
> DON'T USE ANY DATA GENERATED BY THIS PROGRAM!!
>
> The random number generator is only a kludge to let
> it run - it is in no way a strong RNG!
DONT CREATE KEYS, DONT SIGN and DONT ENCRYPT ! This is no joke; the DLP public key system are very dependend on good random numbers. But it should be no problem to use it on Solaris. The default thing should taht it uses RNDUNIX which works fine but pouts a heavy load on the machine and is slow. It is better to use ./configure --enable-static-rnd=egd && make and install Brian's EGD (see the www.gnupg.org) -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013