Frustration (forgive a FAQ please)

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:51:34 +0200 (MET DST)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> The change from PGP2.x key formats to OpenPGP key formats is not backwards
> compatible,
BTW, why is that done? Was it done for some fundamental lack of options in pgp 2.x, or because the creators of the OpenPGP docs wanted to force an upgrade, just as when pgp 2.6 became incompatible with 2.3a?
> any keys generated in the OpenPGP format are not supported by
> PGP 2.x. OpenPGP keys are generally superioir and in some respects more
> secure than PGP2.x keys.
Why more secure? Because signing and encryption keys are separated, or is there another reason?
I disagree. GnuPG should not start the same game that was started with the introduction of pgp 2.6 and especially 5. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html Finger johanw@xs4all.nl for my PGP public key. PGP-KeyID: 0xD42F80B1