Collecting entropy?

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom@mail.dotcom.fr
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 06:33:08 +0200

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 02:06:19PM +0000, Darren Cook wrote:

> At 22:51 00/03/30 -0600, Marius Strom wrote:
> >BSD machine:
> >in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, set rand_irqs="<some irq's that are actually
> >used>"
> >
> >It defaults to keyboard controller, IIRC, which is not helpful on a
> >headless terminal.
> >
> >I use the IRQ of my disk controller, then run a find / creates wonderful
> >entropy. =]
>
> Thanks (and to L. Sassaman).
>
> Looking at that file I see:
> rand_irqs="NO" # Stir the entropy pool (like "5 11" or NO).
>
> Any suggestions what to do here (assuming the ISP is unwilling to change
> that file and reboot their server)? Is it reasonable to create the keys on
> my linux machine then upload them?
>
> Darren
hmm, just my Euro 0.02: On FreeBSD you don't have to reboot your machine to change the IRQs used. Just do, as root : rndcontrol -s 15 rndcontrol -s 14 to add the IDE/ATAPI IRQs if they are used. Replace with your SCSI card IRQ if you have SCSI instead. I don't know if it's really secure to add a network card IRQ there. On OpenBSD, you simply can't add or remove entropy sources. At least it doesn't seems obvious to me while I was browsing man pages on www.openbsd.org.