Problems with the gnupg 1.0.1 and FreeBSD 3.3

Darren Cook darren@flyingcolor.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:37:58

>I have 2 systems and in both case I'm getting stuck generating key pairs.
>Not enough random bytes available. Please do some other work to give
>the OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 128 more bytes)
I had the same problem; here are the answers I got from this mailing list:
>BSD machine:
>in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, set rand_irqs="<some irq's that are actually
>used>"
And:
>On FreeBSD you don't have to reboot your machine to change the IRQs used.
>Just do, as root :
> rndcontrol -s 15
> rndcontrol -s 14
>to add the IDE/ATAPI IRQs if they are used. Replace with your SCSI card IRQ
>if you have SCSI instead. I don't know if it's really secure to add a network
>card IRQ there.
>
>On OpenBSD, you simply can't add or remove entropy sources. At least it
>doesn't seems obvious to me while I was browsing man pages on
>www.openbsd.org.
As it was a co-located machine, and I don't have root access, I cheated and generated keys on another machine then uploaded them. Darren