Compatibility

Lazarus Long lazarus@overdue.ompages.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:58:12 +0000

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 10:32:46PM +0200, Johan Lundberg wrote:
 > On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, L. Sassaman wrote:
 >=20
 > >Be sure you are using a cipher that both products can understand. 3DES =
is
 > >the most logical, since it is required by RFC 2440. CAST is the default
 > >cipher in PGP, and Blowfish in GnuPG. PGP does not implement Blowfish, =
so
 > >this is most likely your problem.
 >=20
 > So, why does GPG default to something that pgp cant handle?

So why does PGP default to something that GnuPG can't handle?

The point is to be compatible with the spec (the RFC) not with some
commercial software.  If some commercial software, any commercial
software, happens to be compliant with the RFC, then interoperability
should be possible.  That's one of the reasons for compliance with
standards.

However, I am now curious why the commercial (NAI) PGP doesn't support
open source Blowfish.  But, being a commercial endeavor, I suppose I
should not care very much what they (NAI) do or do not support.  As long
as GnuPG remains standards-compliant I should be happy.  The fact that NAI
chose to make their product noncompliant with the standard (in another
manner) is deplorable (in my opinion.)  They are certainly not something
to be emulated.

--=20
Please (OpenPGP) encrypt all mail whenever possible. Request the following
Public Keys for Lazarus Long <lazarus@overdue.ompages.com>

  Type    Bits/KeyID    Fingerprint                   DSA KeyID: vvvv vvvv
ElGamal: 2048g/41783186 47A0 0929 CD9F B53E 49C0  F06C 560E F574 ED0D F80C

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE--