Compatibility

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:06:37 +0200

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, John Saylor wrote:

> It's a long story. Blowfish is a fast and secure [so far]
> algorithm. You'd have to ask NAI why they don't implement it.
For encryption it is relly simple: If you encrypt for a key, an OpenPGP implemenation does an intersection between the list of algorithm it implements and the ones foun in the key of the recipient. This intersection will never be empty becuase 3DES is implicty available. So, if you created a key with a preference including Blowfish, any OpenPGP implemenation may decide to use Blowfish for encryption. Yes, I know, there should be a more easy way to change preferences, without editing gpg source. Preferences don't work with signatures of course. Werner -- Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH tel +49 211 239577-0 Birkenstr. 12 email wk@openit.de D-40233 Duesseldorf http://www.openit.de