clearsign?

Jason Helfman jgh@megsinet.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:52:06 -0500

----7e536bd43c42470

are there any useful macros for this? it seems like it is all
encryption that needs to be decrypted, but yet it isn't. I would like
to see the message you sent in mutt...grrr...i'm behind webmail here
and they are seen as attachments....

I have found these two, thus far...

macro   compose  \CP   "Fgpg --clearsign\ny"
macro   compose  \CS   "Fgpg --clearsing\ny^T^Uapplication/pgp;
format=test; x

I am learning very much by having a pgp enabled client, such as mutt,
but I am still learning. I sat down after I installed gnupg and went
through the entire manual, and that helped explain so much. I found it
much better documented then standard pgp unix released documents. I
could be wrong, but this is what I have found.

----7e536bd43c42470

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:32:17AM -0500, Jason Helfman wrote:
                      ^^^
You've got web access there?

 > i am at work, and can't recall offhand....what is a clearsign option?

=46rom http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x135.html#AEN152:

#                                    Making and verifying signatures (p1 of=
 3)
Clearsigned documents

   A common use of digital signatures is to sign usenet postings or
   email messages. In such situations it is undesirable to compress the
   document while signing it. The option --clearsign causes the document
   to be wrapped in an ASCII-armored signature but otherwise does not
   modify the document.
alice% gpg --clearsign doc

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Alice (Judge) <alice@cyb.org>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID BB7576AC, created 1999-06-04

Detached signatures

   A signed document has limited usefulness. Other users must recover the
   original document from the signed version, and even with clearsigned
   documents, the signed document must be edited to recover the
   original. Therefore, there is a third method for signing a document
   that creates a detached signature. A detached signature is created
   using the --detach-sig option.
alice% gpg --output doc.sig --detach-sig doc

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Alice (Judge) <alice@cyb.org>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID BB7576AC, created 1999-06-04

Enter passphrase:

   Both the document and detached signature are needed to verify the
   signature. The --verify option can be to check the signature.
blake% gpg --verify doc.sig doc
gpg: Signature made Fri Jun  4 12:38:46 1999 CDT using DSA key ID BB7576AC
gpg: Good signature from "Alice (Judge) <alice@cyb.org>"

And from http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/r684.html:

                                  clearsign

Name

   clearsign -- make a cleartext signature

clearsign filename

Description

   This command signs a message that can be verified to ensure that the
   original message has not been changed. Verification of the signed
   message is done using the command verify.

(The above were only edited for 80-column mail display.)

I hope those help in some way.  and of course, I hope the base URL in
there is even more useful in the future. :-)

Oh, and I'll clearsign this. :-)  (My MUA is Mutt, so it's easy.)

--=20
Please (OpenPGP) encrypt all mail whenever possible. Request the following
Public Keys for Lazarus Long <lazarus@overdue.ompages.com>

  Type    Bits/KeyID    Fingerprint                   DSA KeyID: vvvv vvvv
ElGamal: 2048g/41783186 47A0 0929 CD9F B53E 49C0  F06C 560E F574 ED0D F80C

----7e536bd43c42470--